Click the PIcture Below to find our more about

Our Annual Spring Fling Event!

  • home page image fbc_welcome.jpg

History

In 1947, ten Christians began to meet in the homes of Mr. & Mrs. J.L. Allen and Mr. & Mrs. Hervey Cope to worship together, and on June 27, 1947, called George Hocutt as their pastor. As a result, Faymont Baptist Church was organized on January 18, 1948. At that time, twenty-seven charter members were meeting in homes on Sundays.

 

Through much prayer, two lots were purchased on Cumberland Road and in 1948 a sanctuary with a dirt floor was erected.
   
On March 19, 1949, the ground breaking for a new sanctuary was held. Additional classroom space was added to the sanctuary in 1958. In 1962, the adjoining lot and two-bedroom house on the northeast corner of the property was purchased and served as the church office and later the church nursery for many years.
   
A Fellowship Hall was constructed in 1966.
On October 12, 1969, the first services were held in a new sanctuary, built for the glory of God. A beautiful new parsonage was completed on Fisher Road in 1975 and served as the home of our pastors and their families until damaged by fire in 2001. Upon restoring the parsonage, the church decided to sell the property.

On October 12, 1980, a note-burning ceremony was held in honor of retiring the church debt. In 1989, four acres behind the church became available and the church purchased the land with visions of the future in mind. The following year, the dirt driveways and parking areas were paved. In 1999, our Educational Building (the old Sanctuary building) was renovated by the men of the church. In the spring of 2005, the church entered into a building campaign to build a new 9,100 sq. ft. multipurpose facility. Groundbreaking for the building including a new fellowship hall, nursery, church offices, restrooms, choir room, and classrooms was held on April 24, 2005. The new facilities were dedicated on January 1, 2006. The two-bedroom house that had been used for the nursery was razed in 2007 to provide additional parking. In the fall of 2008, the house and lot on the northwest corner was purchased, also to provide parking.

During the life of the church, thirteen faithful men have served as pastor. They are George Hocutt; Gordon Shaw; Eldridge Young; Guy Futral; Tom Walton; Edward Rogers; Carlton McDaniel, Sr.; Virgil Wilson; Larry Issacs; Edward Rogers (second term); Gary Garner; Sherrill Boykin; and Christopher Evans.

The church has also licensed several others into the ministry including Fred Nordan, Thomas Hall, Clifton Canipe, Max McClellan, Jr., Steven Devane, David McClellan, Randy Jordan, Sherrill Boykin, Christopher Evans, and Christopher Newton.

Through the years several special ministry programs have been established including a bus ministry, children’s church, a senior adult ministry, and a ministry for adults with special needs.

God has uniquely used the talents, abilities, and gifts of His servants to continue the growth of His kingdom. May we strive to continue to humbly seek His will and bring glory to His name.